How to Stop Face Mask Breakouts
If you're finding your skin has changed because of the mask, whether it be mask-ne, sensitivity or a general change in how you are reacting to the humidity change, here are some tips -
1. Dermatitis: red, itchy, sensitive, peeling skin What to do: -Be sure to wash your masks daily. If they are not washable, put them out in the sun for the day. -Wash your face with a non-surfactant cleanser. Soothe is the choice for this! It's super gentle on the skin. - Provide a barrier protection under the mask by applying a lightweight moisturizer during the day, use your heavier moisturizer at bedtime. Our Soothe #3 moisturizer is perfect for AM application. If you need help with a PM, I recommend Redefine PM -Breakup with makeup. Jazz up your eyes but don’t use the foundations, etc when wearing your mask. If you feel you must, use a skin protector with environmental, barrier, and photo defense built-in. Radiant Defense is NOT MAKEUP but gives you coverage as if it were. This is your workaround -Soothe #2 (Sensitive Skin Treatment) has anti-inflammatory properties that work great for calming this down! It also acts as a lightweight oil-free moisturizer.
2. Acne Mechanica: acne caused by the friction, rubbing of the mask. What to do: Do the steps above in the morning and treat your acne at night. Spotless (teens)/Unblemish (adults) is your PM solution.
3. Pseudofolliculitis Barbae: ingrown hairs and irritation on men’s faces. What to do: -Shave in the direction of hair growth. Too close of a shave may allow hairs to retract below the skin surface and become ingrown. Try a specialized bump fighting razor that does not shave as close or try switching to an electric razor. -Exfoliate 2x a week with our Microdermabrasion Paste. Removes ingrown hairs and Razor burn all together. If shaving in the PM, I recommend Unblemish Step 1 before shaving too. Soothe #2 is awesome for calming your skin after shaving. Use this daily.
4. Red, flushed, hot face -->I have this problem after a glass of wine! What to do: -Soothe is my very favorite Regimen for this. Its job is to strengthen your skin and it does exactly that. Also provides immediate relief!! -Spicy foods, alcohol, and stress can all be triggers to conditions that can cause a red flushed face, so go easy on those or avoid all together.
5. Focus on your eyes. Our eye creams and Lash Boost [and soon Brow Boost] are must have right now. For the foreseeable future, all emphasis is on your eyes so give them some extra TLC! Personally, if all we're going to see of our faces is our eyes, I am thrilled to have Lash Boost,Eye Cream, Bright Eye Complex, and Brow Defining Boost in my corner!
Drop me a line if you have any questions or concerns - we have to take our masks off at some point, we shouldn't be self confident when we do!